Tuesday, June 9, 2009

stumble, eat dirt, stand up, do it again.

We had a group of students today completely bomb their presentation on China-U.S. relations. The scope of the assignment was that each student take on a different perspective looking from the U.S. into China's own way of life and how U.S. officials can assist China in affecting change (My disagreement with this project premise is the least of my worries at this point). Granted, they are freshman, and they are still learning... but they've had all year to refine their research and presentation skills. I would hope that at this stage in the game they would at least be able to identify when it's time to ask for help. But alas... I return to making up lists and rubrics for them after the fact.

This frustrates me. Perhaps because there was no rubric in the first place. No specific guideline stating, "Here is what I want to see..." But that is not my fault. My main responsibility is to now help my students, "my kids", as I call them, as much as I can.

In other news, yoga was even better today. I felt a better stretch, and Mark came over to help me straighten my leg once or twice. "Breathe through it," he said after noticing my wince. And so I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment