Monday, June 22, 2009

Mondays tend to suck for various reasons.

Today's reason(s) are as follows: my awesomely awesome sunburn. We're talkin' sweet lobstah red. I'm sayin' it hurts to bend and unbend my legs. Mission Beach was gorgeous yesterday, but too much frisbee and a very interesting issue of Yoga Journal left my back and legs looking like someone had painted me a vibrant shade of "The Sun Hates You and Thinks You Should Burn". My fair French Canadian skin stood no chance against the mighty rays.

Last, but not least, I was just notified that my position at High Tech High would not be continued this fall. While it is quite a blow, I was not entirely surprised by it. Budgets have been really tight and funding for extra positions like "Tutors" or "Academic Coaches" has become unavailable.

Fran, my supervisor, found out last Thursday and decided it was best that we know as soon as possible. It is a bittersweet feeling for me. While I was looking forward to seeing my freshman become sophomores, I was not looking forward to another year of working with my ex. I am concerned about the economy and the lack of jobs, but I also welcome the new challenge that survival offers. Along with growing comfortable in a position, I also forget just how incredibly capable I am. This is something no one else truly knows but me. Even Patrick did not truly know how capable I can be until our break up became imminent and I was propelled to pack up and leave the apartment within a single weekend. Even I surprised myself then.

The only terribly awkward moment was Fran's intial address. I noticed that, though Holly, my roommate and coworker, was in the room, Fran spoke to me and the three other tutors, but would not look at Holly. Holly herself was doodling on a note pad, seemingly paying no mind to the conversation. I understood that this meant she had not lost her job and that she felt uncomfortable about the news and sad for the rest of us. She later confirmed my suspicions when we had time to talk at home. Regardless, it is not her fault and I harbor no anger toward her. Mostly, I feel frustrated with myself and the way my job performance took a nosedive after the break up. But that's an issue for another entry...

No comments:

Post a Comment