Sunday, March 29, 2009

you just don't understand

Holly lent me an interesting book titled You Just Don't Understand: Men and Women in Conversation. I've only just started it, but I'm intrigued. I'm sure I'll update this with my musings and rants on Tannen's subject matter.

However, Holly did mention that the book is structured to induce frustration. Or so it seems that way. I have an older copy so the pages are a yellowy-beige (note: old texts mean sage advice!) and it reads like a fiction novel. Usually, when it comes to non-fiction texts like this one, I like the reading to be broken up into small sections. I ready slowly and therefore the space in text provides me with a place to come up for some air. I like to read whole chapters and will rarely stop in the middle of one, unless perhaps there is a substantial section break. Perhaps I'm a tad obsessive in that way.

I have about 4 novels I'm in the middle of right now. I should probably be more proactive about finishing those. But laziness is just so delicious!

Another text that is really great Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High. My supervisor has this in her office and we all, students and teachers, have been benefiting from it.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment